Home Page

Jesus said, ‘”Come, live your life the way God wants you to”

How does the school monitor the progress of children with SEND?

We adopt a graduated approach when supporting children and parents/carers. This is a cycle of assess, plan, do, review and is how decisions and actions are made to help children make progress and secure good outcomes.


Once a child is identified as having SEND, a Support Plan is put together by the class teacher to outline a profile of the child and his/her needs. Identified measurable targets, with a timescale, are set and the methods to be used in order to achieve specific outcomes are highlighted and pupil and parental perspective are also included. An assessment tool called ‘B Squared’ is used to measure small steps of progress that a child with SEND may make.

Once recorded, the support plan becomes a working document, which is updated termly to show progress towards particular targets and new targets are set. Adjustments to the plan can be made where necessary. The class teacher manages the plan and suggested actions. They will be accountable for the outcomes and therefore should discuss with the SENCo if they feel the plan is not working, for whatever reason.

A timescale will be attached to the plan so that everyone involved appreciates when outcomes should be reviewed. A review will take place within this timescale in which interventions/resources can be evaluated, along with the views of the child and the parents. The plan can then be updated, or a further plan can be devised, if required, to enable the pupil to achieve their next steps in learning. Alternatively, the pupil may have made sufficient progress for the plan to cease.


Further Options:

Further assessment requested from outside agencies, such as an Inclusion Consultant or Educational Psychologist, to gain a better understanding of the pupil’s profile and recommendations for support.


Although the school receives additional funding for pupils with SEND, if the support for those with the most complex needs exceeds the £6,000 threshold, ‘top up’ funding can be applied for from the Local Authority called High Needs Funding. It is the schools responsibility to complete a high needs application which shows that their plan is efficient and likely to succeed.


Where, despite the school having taken relevant and purposeful action to identify, assess and meet a child’s SEND, if the special educational provision required cannot be provided through the resources and services that are available, the school or parents should consider requesting an Education, Health and Care assessment.


  • St Thomas Church of England Primary School,
  • Kenyons Lane, Lydiate, Liverpool, Merseyside, L31 0BP
  • E:
  • T: 0151 531 9955