Further Key Information
We are always prepared for the possibility of snow disruption during the winter and poor weather conditions.
Our key objective during the worst weather conditions is to open school on a site that is safe and adequately staffed. When we experience ice or snow our first priority is to assess whether we can make the site safe enough for adults and children.
Although we keep up-to-date with forecasts and weather warnings, some snow and ice conditions can be quite localised. What appears to be 'slushy' snow at school can be compacted very quickly on frozen ground when children are walking on it, or there may be severe snow around school but little where you live.
When there is a possibility that school may not be able to open we will assess the following criteria:
• Can the site be made safe?
• Will we have sufficient staff to meet safe and appropriate adult:child ratios?
• Can we provide meals at lunchtime?
When we are confident we have an adequate number of staff and accessibility to school is safe, we will open.
Here is a reminder of the school's snow procedure. Please put it somewhere safe during the colder weather, just in case...
1) We will send a message out via our parent app to let you know whether school is open or closed as soon as the Headteacher has made the decision.
2) Website: where possible, we will add messages to our websites updating everyone. Our website address is http://www.stthomaslydiate.co.uk
3) Check local radio stations for schools closures (BBC Radio Merseyside).
Please avoid calling school to check if we are closed; instead, use the methods outlined above. Phone lines will be needed to check on staff's availability.
We may decide to have a staggered opening with pupils being allowed to arrive at anytime up to 10.00am. This allows those from further afield to travel to school safely and spreads the flow of traffic in and around the school site. Information will be given as indicated above.
We will always try to make a decision as early as possible and would hope to inform you by 8:00am, at the very latest, if we have to close.
PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT CLOSING A SCHOOL IS NEVER A DECISION THAT IS TAKEN LIGHTLY;
WE WILL DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO STAY OPEN.